Wednesday 26 May 2021

A legacy of faith

Rusula Adikoila Cavalevu

Hi YFI and readers of this blog, first off I want to say that I am encouraged and excited by those of you who already wrote amazing stories in this platform. It is a great source of inspiration to all of us.

I wanted to share a brief story that touched my heart during this pandemic. It is about a 70 year old woman. The woman and her daughter moved into a flat beside mine last month. The daughter works as a security officer and her mother most of the time stayed home by herself.

Last two weeks in the middle of the night, I heard moaning and I thought that I had a bad dream, but No! It's the lady next door calling for help with emotional soft voice, "Lewa kere veivuke". 

I ran out and heard that it was her. I opened the door and saw her lying on the floor. She called to me, “Lewa please help me.

I moved the wheelchair and lifted her and got her from the room to their sitting room. I asked her what she wanted. She said she fell off her bed as she tried to take her tablet which she coudn't reach.

Am in pain lewa,” she said.

I asked, “Where's your daughter?”

“She sent me a message that she slept over at her friend's place and will come home after her shift 12 o'clock tomorrow.

I was thinking that if she's my mother I will not leave her like that. I can see the pain she's been through seeing her swollen leg and severe headache.

After she took her tablet she asked me if I can come and help her get to the shower the next day as she feels weak.

I agreed telling her, “If you need anything just call me on my phone. I will see you tomorrow morning and before I go, please can i pray for us?”  

She said yes.

After the prayer I say goodbye and came back home.

Next morning after my devotion I prepared pancakes with jam and took it to her.

When I called her aunty she responded that she woke up already.

I boiled the hot water and took it to her bathroom, After her shower, we sat in the couch in the living room and changed her dressing on her wound.

I prepared her breakfast by 9 o'clock and we chatted until 11am.

She shared that she was so thankful that I was there when she needed help.

Her daughter came about 12:15pm and  she saw her sitting in the living room watching TV looking happy. She came to me thanking me for what i did when she's not around and I told her, “You have to remember they will leave us one day while we still have the chance to see them, we give them our best protection, stay beside them in moments of suffering, loving and caring for them as they are our source of blessing.

From that day till today she came back home straight after work and she really changed the way she treats her mom.

In closing, we will be rewarded for every good deed, for every person we encourage, for every act of kindness.

We are building a legacy of faith.

!!Thanks!!

1 comment:

  1. Aww that's a beautiful story Adi koila..♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete

Fiji Youths: unleashing creative approaches to serious issues

 This blog piece was originally published in the Transparency International website . International Youth Day global snapshot: young… - Tran...