Saturday 28 October 2017

Peniasi (Ben) Daveta: A Youth Leader of Integrity


Ben Daveta’s relationship with “Youths For Integrity” goes back to 2013 when he was a high school student at Swami Vikekananda College, Nadi. YFI ran a civic leadership training for Western students which Ben and fellow student-leaders were chosen to attend. Since then, he has maintained his links especially given his interests in anti-corruption and integrity issues.

(a)         Ben can you tell us a bit of how your interest in politics was ignited at high school and University?

I remember back in primary school, Class 3, I began to have an interest in watching the news on TV, hear on the radio and reading the newspaper – that way I was very much into current affairs.  And in school, I enjoyed Social Studies classes because I learnt about history particularly for Fiji and also Health Science. In 2006, that is when things began to change. My dream was to become a Doctor but that all changed after the events of December 2006.

(b) How do you use social media to inform people of your political and social views?

To my belief, social media has become a very powerful tool and an effective medium to inform, educate, advocate and advise the people or your followers covering wide range of issues and topics. With that advantage, I have fully utilised this opportunity and in this process, share my views and opinions on various issues.

(c) What has been the reaction of people?

The reaction from my followers have been overwhelmingly positive and also a few who share positive feedbacks. I cannot say that I am perfect, in fact, I am not. At times I receive negative feedbacks and those who oppose my position on certain issues or topic, I learn from those and carry with me for consideration in the future.

(d) What are you future goals? I.e. what you would like to do in 4 years’ time?

Currently, I am on full-time with the Office of the Leader of the Opposition, have acted as a provisional aide to the Honourable Opposition Leader, and will continue to until she leaves office once the new Prime Minister is sworn in. Thereafter, I am planning to continue my studies in Law & Political Science.

(e) Your friendship with Marie Fall has been a life changer for you? Would you like to provide information on how you 2 met and how this has been awesome for you and any future plans?
Oh.. hahaha.. did not see this one coming lol. Anyways, I first met Marie through Olivia Vakaosooso who happened to be Marie's roommate during the Hibiscus Festival in 2015. Olivia is also a YFI Member. I was engaged with Hibiscus because I was a close friend of Olivia from high school so I provided my time to assist her preparations for the pageant and ensuring her wellbeing.

On that same year when Marie was crowned Queen, we had a high school reunion of which Marie was one of the Chief Guest. The funny thing was, I admit that I liked Marie however, I did not have the intention to “ask her out” because firstly, she was a Hibiscus Queen and secondly, why would she want to date me? Me? It’s almost 2 years now dating with her, one of my longest I must say, hhh…

I do not regret saying yes (hahah how weird) to her and as I said, 2 years now and growing stronger. I am fortunate to have met Marie and having her by my side. We have had major ups and downs, we learn from it and keep moving forward. One thing I learnt from her is the importance of communication J .

Marie is humble, down to earth and very caring, a complete contrary of what I assumed of a Hibiscus Queen.

Future plans.. ? Well, soon I will be all alone most of the time because she has a new job which requires her to be miles away from me but I know I can cope lol.

Our plan and a must for us in the next 4 years is to get our Degrees, she loves her Mathematics, Accounting and Economics while I am forever in love with Law and Politics – that is a must!

From there, maybe to the unknown? J 

(f) Tell us a bit about your family and how they have influenced you.

Firstly, I love my family and we are one happy family with people with beautiful souls! They have been very supportive towards me and what I aspire to become, initially, they disagreed with me being in politics because they feared that I might “get shot by the gun” or “taken to the barracks”, especially being a strong advocate for democracy, justice, accountability and the rule of law.

They have taught of how one is to be a leader of your own self and becoming independent. Growing up in a family where protocol was critical and to be acquainted with the Fijian culture at home was something you will never miss, typically around my grandparents. They also showed me that carrying the title of a “Ratu” must not be something that will make me proud however achieving great things and be an exemplary to my peers was more important.

Peer pressure was something that was not easy to get to me, I was a “no go zone” due to the upbringing I went through.

Some say I am well mannered, to me it was normal, I was just being me but that truly represented my upbringing and the way and what I was taught at home.

(g) Your school has produced some fantastic people. Tell us about it and how it has influenced you.

Yes! Go Swami! Swami Vivekananda College was the school of my first choice while still in primary school. I was told to go to RKS by my Dad who is an “OB”, I declined it and said that SVC is my choice, thankfully he respected it. SVC was my second home, I loved the teachers, and it was so easy to communicate with the teachers and administration although I was not a big fan for Maths.

The school recognizes students contributions and will always make sure that students feel appreciated and acknowledged for their work.

SVC has molded me on how to become a good leader - listening to students, teachers, and even parents’ concerns, how to better my social skills and approachability so that students do not fear approaching me (although some or most of them were because I was stricter than the Head Girl - lol), and being student or people oriented.

During my time also in SVC, another important point of my learning which has influenced me is the appreciation and the understanding of the existence of diversity in school. It was a multi-racial and multi-religious secondary institution. The barrier of race or background failed to deter the students from working together in achieving the main goal which is to “pass” and proceed to the new level. We looked after each other, we would help those who would not understand a particular topic or question – we will hold hands and move together. Learning from each other was no exception.

I remember during lunch time where my class mates of Indian descent or the Luvedra na Ratu, Asian school mates with the Fijian students would all come together, form a circle, put all our lunches in the middle and we pick and eat whatever that catches our eye to eat. Everyone would eat, become full and head back to classes afterwards, there was no time where the idea of being “different” would ensue – no chances.

I believe that my association with all my school mates of all backgrounds has made a major influence to my life.

(h) Ben can I have a view of Ro Teimumu Kepa? I understand that she has been one of your inspirations and indeed inspiration for many young iTaukei’s.

I first heard the name in 2004 when she was a Cabinet Minister under the Qarase Government.

Ten years later, I did not realize that I would cross her path or to even be under her guidance as we prepared for the polls.

Ro Teimumu Kepa is one leader that I want to emulate when I grow up even at this stage of life. She has been labelled as “Fiji’s Iron Lady” and some even referred to her as “Fiji’s Esther” which has biblical representation.

Ro Teimumu speaks of wisdom and one who is bold and steadfast in her leadership, speaks what she believes and what is best. A great example is her position on coups, she has spoken against it and has continued to, regardless – coups are not the way forward, they take us backwards.

Despite her role in the traditional Fiji, she always ensure that she meets and talk to the people particularly among the many conservative Fijians who have reverence towards her given that she is the Head of a province and a confederacy. She knows how to handle critics and haters, a smile is something they will get in return and if she has a chance, she will make her stand known.

She is also a strong advocate for youth and women empowerment in our societies and the need to engage them in decision making processes, national and political affairs.

Ro Teimumu is committed in seeing a united and one Fiji where we live together and this materialized after deciding to adopt Girmit descendants to her Vanua and grant them a sense of belonging. None of this has ever happened from time immemorial, she became the first ever traditional Fijian leader to make this historical move.

Those who have not met her assume she is unapproachable, I disagree, it is not what they think.

A leader with so much wisdom, humility, grace, motherly love, a teacher, and a great mentor. I am blessed and fortunate to be working under her leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fiji Youths: unleashing creative approaches to serious issues

 This blog piece was originally published in the Transparency International website . International Youth Day global snapshot: young… - Tran...