Saturday 2 September 2017

Politically Active Youth: Ilikini Bulidama


Ilikini Bulidama, 20, is a fixture on social media posting on political issues. I had been expecting an intense and angst filled youth obsessed with saving the world and was pleasantly surprised to see a down to earth individual who is very polite and friendly and reminded me of how I was when I was a teenager. Ilikini lists his hobbies as reading, travelling, watching documentaries and swimming. He is careful with his diet given the concerns for non-communicable diseases and he especially likes eating boiled vegetables and salads.
He recounts that he “was not really interested in politics at first, until Year 11 when I switched my subject combination from Accounting to History. My History teacher’s prowess suddenly ignited my political interest. especially in the Class Based Assessment Project where we were required to write about any Leader in Fiji who has helped build the Nation.”

Commenting on social media, Ilikini says it is “a great way to connect with the people and getting our message across. I also update the people on government’s performance to enable them to vote wisely in any election.”

Some people have messaged Ilikini to compliment his political views.A lady at the flea market told him she always followed his posts. He admits that this inspired him immensely.

Ilikini dreams of the day he will be in Parliament. He “would like to be the Prime Minister in the near future. He will not be sidetracked by the trappings of power like the Land Cruiser and the Policemen saluting as he disembarks.

Ilikini is “forever grateful to my parents and I owe them a great debt for my upbringing. I will never forget the virtues that I was taught which will help me a lot in the future.” He also feels that he was “blessed to be educated in one of the best institution which gave me the knowledge required to tackle life and to succeed in my career.”

He admires “Ro Teimumu as a great Leader but with due respect to the Marama, I still don’t like the fact that she’s supporting Rabuka, a person who introduced the Coup Culture to Fiji.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fiji Youths: unleashing creative approaches to serious issues

 This blog piece was originally published in the Transparency International website . International Youth Day global snapshot: young… - Tran...