Sunday 12 November 2017

Writing Changes Sinha's Life

by Herleen Emily


As a child, I was always fond of writing and being opinionated about things that matter the most. While growing up, I didn’t see people being appreciative about people who write. However, these societal ideologies did not deter me from doing what I love the most. Like every critical and responsible citizen, I started writing on the Fiji Sun and the Fiji Times.
How I started?

Being vocal and outspoken about national and societal issues was always part of my life. One day while travelling to school, I got stuck in the traffic. Suddenly, I saw a man walking along the road, picking bottles and cans from the drains and the nearby polluted areas. People in their cars began to beep their horns at him while he bent and continued picking. While, others teased and shouted at him on their way to work.

At that point of time, I was speechless with the behavior of people in our society and burst out in anger. How can a society be this cruel; firstly, he is trying to earn money for himself and secondly, he is cleaning the environment which people like us litter upon. For a moment I thought I was too young and alone to fight the stereotyped society. Then by using my writing skills, I wrote a letter to the editor to the Fiji Sun and filled the letter with my opinions.

I described the letter as “Job inequality,” how the society with white collar job treats other people with low standard jobs. The next thing I know is that I am getting a call from the Fiji Sun regarding this man for which they wish to interview. My first letter to the Fiji Sun won me the “best letter of the week.” I started to get positive comments on social media regarding the letter I wrote and people around the world wanted to meet him and donate his family with kind/cash.


With this interview, I got to know the name of the bottle collector- Shatrugan Sinha. He lives with his 76 year old mother in a small house. His mum said that she is proud of what her son is doing rather than stealing, he is earning money. He wakes up early in the morning and begins his work in the Nadi area before people start making their way to work. He said he was always feared with the way people perceived his work. He is the only support and the sole earner for his mother. ‘He proved that he is a true son’

 He gained fans not only in Nadi and Fiji but across the world as well. He appreciated my letter and hoped that people’s way of viewing jobs change. Social media was flooded with positive comments and this surely touched millions of hearts.



I personally believe this story is an eye opener for many people who view things in the same way. We call ourselves educated, does education teach us to be immoral about other people’s jobs? He is an inspiration to many sons’ who abandon their mothers/fathers when they become a burden to them. Sinha has proven to be a hero! A real Hero!

Writing inspires lives!

As a writer I surely believe that we inspire lives in some way or the other. After my writing, many people began to perceive things in a different way. I felt so happy that day by day, writings are changing the mindsets of people in our society. It is making a difference! Today, I have become a daily editorial writer in the Fiji Sun and winning best letters twice.

I am dedicating this blog (article) to all the writers who continue to inspire us with their heart touching stories. Sometimes, it’s not about making a point but about making a difference. I hope one day writers are more and highly appreciated in our society for they are huge contributors in the lives of the vulnerable and less fortunate people. ‘Writing is the painting of voice’

By: Herleen Emily 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Well written and surely impacts the core of individuals. Thank You Emily for sharing this piece.

    ReplyDelete

Fiji Youths: unleashing creative approaches to serious issues

 This blog piece was originally published in the Transparency International website . International Youth Day global snapshot: young… - Tran...